Last night, we went ahead and met with her counselor to see what our options are for her. She's in 9th grade, so her grades count now. She can do well and gets A's on nearly everything she turns in, but she works so slowly that she falls behind quickly. And when she falls behind, she falls hard because not handing in homework is a foolproof way to fail all of your classes. The good news is that the counselor told us about this magic thing called a 504 plan. It's for kids with disabilities, including learning disabilities, to help put them on an even playing field. So the counselor is going to start the process of getting a 504 plan in place for her on Monday. I'm very excited to find out about this option for her and wonder why I've never heard of it before. When we reviewed her standardized tests from 3rd grade to the present, we saw such a strong pattern. She always tests very well (in the 80 - 95th percentile) unless the test is timed. If it is timed, she tests in the 20 - 30th percentile. Among other things, this 504 plan will mean more time for her on important state tests and even, eventually, on the ACT and SAT. So, although her grades still need some serious work, at least we are moving in the right direction with her.
Matthew's grades were a little more of a surprise to all of us. First, he got us all psyched up by saying he thinks he has A's in every class. He was really happy because he's trying to get straight A's so he can earn a drum set. (This is his reward if he gets a 4.0 - sadly, we feel pretty safe offering this as a reward.) But it turns out that getting us all excited to see his grades was not a wise move for Matthew. When we saw his actual grades, it was so much more painful than it would have been. He does have A's, but unfortunately, they're only in percussion and PE. In his classes that matter, he's not doing quite so well. I don't get how he can think he's getting an A in English, but then find out he only has 33%. We're now working on the concept of "you get out what you put in."
Anna and Matthew are both grounded until their grades are up. No friends, TV, computer, video games, books, or anything else they like to do until every single assignment is turned in. And, since they apparently need me standing over them for every second of their homework, I'm effectively grounded, too.
3 comments:
Ug. Sorry about your death sentence. I remember when my mom used to ground me. She used to last about two days before she hated me so much she just wanted me to get away from her.
I've never heard of the 540 plan, but I have heard of allowing certain kids different parameters at school, and it sounds hopeful for your Anna. It must be hard to see her struggle.
My Max was a Matthew in sixth grade. I don't know what happened besides a lot of weeping and wailing, but he's in eigth and something seems to have clicked. Or maybe it is just the crappy CA schools.
Why do we have stinky kids to wreck our otherwise perfect lives? Mostly people here sue the school district if they aren't giving their kids what the parents think they deserve. If the homework you do together is too hard, I'd go the litigious route!
I think Anna and Matthew are both beautiful and bright! I just hope they don't feel badly that the world knows their grades! I seem to remember a senior girl that cut classes for two weeks in a row before getting caught. Luckily she had gone to school in Missouri her junior year and so had already learned everything taught in the Ca. schools for sr. year...She turned out just fine and then some.
Post a Comment