Saturday, November 3, 2007

The Forgotten Middle Child

I've been creating labels for my posts and just noticed that, although she is mentioned a few times, I don't have any posts dedicated just to Sarah (typical forgotten middle child).



SOME OF MY FAVORITE THINGS ABOUT SARAH:

1. Sarah has been my easiest child. When she was 3, I was pregnant with Abby and was put on full bedrest for 12 weeks. We had moved to Utah just 1 1/2 weeks before, and we didn't know anyone. I was so worried about what I was going to do with her. We had help from lots of family members who took turns coming into town, but on the days when I didn't have any help, Sarah couldn't have been any easier. She just hung out with me watching movies or playing with her animals all day long.

2. Sarah is the most dedicated animal nut I know. She refers to people as humans, like she's not sure that she's one of them. She used to want to be a lion when she grew up (a boy lion because they have cool manes). She blows holes in the knees of her pants within days because she crawls everywhere pretending to be an animal. When she was four, she had several imaginary pets. When a neighbor asked her about her "pets," he went through a whole list of animals (lion, horse, racoon, giraffe, elephant, cow, etc.), and she told him all about them and the various things they did together. But when he asked her about her camel, she answered, "I don't have a camel." She never played with baby dolls, only animals. She used to breastfeed a scary Star Wars fish toy with rows and rows of sharp teeth. OUCH! That is true dedication!

3. (If you have a weak stomach, you may want to skip this paragraph) Sarah has had the most impressive looking injury of any of my kids. You know how you're not supposed to run with pencils (or other sharp objects)? When she was 1 1/2, she took off running with a pencil and fell on it. It stabbed into her eye, but luckily, it was not very sharp, so it did not go through her eyelid. Her eyelid swelled completely closed and was the size of a golfball. She did this on Easter, so somewhere in our boxes of pictures (pre-digital camera days), we have pictures of her in her pretty Easter dress hunting for Easter eggs with a golf-ball shaped eyelid. For a long time, we couldn't go anywhere without anyone who saw her wanting to know what had happened to her. I had to constantly ask them to please not scare her with their horrified expressions. The eye doctor we saw scared us to death talking about muscle damage and nerve damage, but she doesn't have any lasting effects from the injury except for a small pencil lead scar in her right eyelid. We all love this gruesome picture (about a week after the injury when the color had gotten less black) - it gets really fun reactions out of people who haven't become hardened to it.

4. Sarah has the best laugh! You can't hear it without laughing yourself.



5. She is happy and easy-going. And she sets a great example for her younger sister, getting her to play with animals when she would otherwise want to play with evil Bratz dolls.

I love you, Sprph.

8 comments:

Paige said...

Oh, that is a cool eye. We need to always take pictures of those important injuries. She is adorable. I purposely wrote about my son today because he's so good and neglected.

Sarah said...

Hi mom,

I don't remember having so many imajinary animals . I think my favorite one was the lion becuase when I was little my favorite animal was a lion .

SC said...

That's my little "mini me". I liked her better with the bald head because the resemeblence to me was more apparent.

Celia Fae said...

Is Steve really bald? Can I see a picture please?

Thank you for including the horrific eyelid injury and the fish with many teeth. She sounds like a darling girl.

I wish I had one good child that I could neglect.

mamasuisse said...

Sorry, Celia. Steve isn't bald or even graying, the jerk. I think he just meant that before Sarah had hair, she looked more like a boy, so the resemblance was more obvious.

cait said...

i love sarah...she is darling. i noticed her comment on liz's blog and saw that she has a blog called HORSES RULE! I like her even more!

Paige said...

I am dying over the wig comment. Hilarious.

Liz said...

I forgot about her nasty mutant fish toy. That thing freaked me out!