Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Time To Get My Thyroid Checked

On Friday, I very nearly backed my car out through the closed garage door. I caught myself in the nick of time. Heart pounding, I drove Abby to school and went in with her to help in her class. While I was there, I realized we'd forgotten her birthday cupcakes . . . again - her birthday was the day before. Since I only live 1/4 mile away, I went home really quick to get them. I ran in, yelled to Anna that I came home to get the cupcakes so she wouldn't think there was an intruder in the house, and got back to the school within 5 minutes. I parked and turned to get the cupcakes, only to realize I'D FORGOTTEN THEM AGAIN!!! So I drove back home, cursing myself the whole way.

Last time I had this severe of a lapse in brain function, my thyroid was really messed up. That was when I left 18 month old Abby in the bathtub by herself for 15 minutes, completely forgotten (the water was only a few inches deep, but still!!); I ladled soup out onto a plate; and I left the iron sitting on the floor. It must be time to get checked again.

7 comments:

Celia Fae said...

I call those senior moments. I like thyroid moments a lot better. I wish I could blame my thyroid on stuff. Do they give you medicine to boost your metabolism? I could use some of that.

Paige said...

Running back into the house for something you've forgotten is written in the motherhood handbook. So you are good there. Soup is good on a plate, and irons should not be left on the floor, they should be left in the garbage. But I'm really glad Abby survived.

mamasuisse said...

Low thyroid is a great excuse for lots of ailments: fatigue, dislike of cold weather, weight gain, bad hair, poor intellectual ability - the list goes on and on.

AnnEE said...

Yikes!! That's really scary about the bathtub!!

Oh, btw, thanks so much for the post! Luckily, I have a good friend who has her act together much more than I do, and she went and bought him something. I didn't even see your post until about 8 pm on Saturday. Thank you so much though! Had I seen it earlier, I most definitely would have called you!

Wendy said...

I've been known to be forgetful, but I've always blamed it on being my mother's daughter. Maybe I should get my thyroid checked.

Courtney said...

I've almost backed the car out of a closed garage door a few times. It makes your heart pound something fierce, doesn't it? And I haven't left Amelia in the tub yet (lets hope I don't) but I HAVE left the water running while filling the tub up for, well, awhile. Thank goodness for those safety drains!!

Monkey said...

Yes, it's time to get your thyroid checked