Thursday, November 8, 2007

Choking Hazards

Round, firm foods are common choking dangers. The following foods can be choking hazards:
  • Hot dogs

  • Nuts and seeds

  • Chunks of meat or cheese

  • Whole grapes

  • Hard, gooey or sticky candy

  • Popcorn

  • Chunks of peanut butter

  • Raw vegetables

  • Raisins

  • Chewing gum
Several years ago, when I was a new mom, I read an article on choking prevention, and it made me feel so panicky that I've never forgotten it. Now, anytime I go out and leave my kids at home, I'm afraid they'll choke on something, and I won't be there to Heimlich them. I do realize this fear is somewhat irrational, but whenever I leave, I always feel like I have to remind them of the snacking rules for when I'm not home: no hot dogs, no popcorn, no running around with food in your mouth, no talking with food in your mouth, no laughing with food in your mouth. And if anyone chokes, one of you call 911 and another one run as fast as you can to the neighbor's for help (she's a nurse).

The kids have come to accept that this is something they will have to listen to at least a few times a week for the rest of their lives.
But a few days ago, Matthew called me while I was out to ask if he could make hot dogs for himself and the other kids. Before I could say a single word, he started reciting the script, all in one breath, to soothe his crazy mother. "I'll-cut-them-in-half-lengthwise-and-then-into-small-pieces-and-we'll-sit-down-when-we-eat-and-we-won't-talk-or-laugh."

He's learned to handle me pretty well.

4 comments:

Celia Fae said...

That is funny. I have a friend who is paranoid about choking as well and she won't let ANYONE eat when she isn't there. Babysitters refuse to work for her. What about ice cream? No one chokes on ice cream. Isn't it weird what we mommies are paranoid about?

Sheryl said...

Susan-teach your kids the heimlich(sp?)!!! You know how juice boxes have that plastic film on the straws, when my brother John and I were little (I was at most 6 and John 4) he somehow had swallowed the straw wrapper while taking it off for his drink. Yours truly-i the one who did the heimlich manuver and got the straw out of this throat...If I could do it at six, then that takes care of HALF your kids...just an idea. Hope you let your children have juice boxes after this...

Liz said...

Hey, at least your kids listen when you tell them not to eat that stuff when you're gone. Nice pictures of Matthew by the way - were those staged?

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use a photograph of yours in this book. Please contact me at hannah@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Hannah
hannah@wefeelfine.org