Saturday, November 10, 2007

Holiday Baking with Friends

On Tuesday of this week, a few friends came over for a pie making day. We spent the entire day making pie filling and pie crusts to go in the freezer for holiday use.


Liz Mitchell (cousin), Me, Deborah and Karin (friends from Utah)


We made 4 quadruple batches of chocolate filling and 4 quadruple batches of vanilla filling. (Vanilla is for banana cream pie, peach cream pie, coconut cream pie, etc.)



And we covered the entire table in plastic wrap and rolled out 58 pie crusts. My niece Sheryl showed up to help, too, and made off with a razzleberry pie.


And we made a giant mess of the kitchen.



And when the kids all asked if they could have pie, I said, "As soon as the kitchen is clean, we can have pie!" They were happy to oblige.

All totalled up: 32 pie fillings, 4 razzleberry pies, 2 apple pies, and 46 pie crusts.

What I got to keep for my freezer: 4 vanilla pie fillings, 4 chocolate pie fillings, 1 razzleberry pie, and 20 pie crusts to use for pecan pies for neighbors and home teachers! My holiday baking is more than halfway done!

11 comments:

Celia Fae said...

Do those friends from Utah realize they are in the presence of a baking legend's daughter? My mother has tried to teach me how to make Martha's pie crust to no avail. What a great idea to have a communal bakery! I'd like the chocolate please.

Paige said...

Wow, that is truly impressive. Martha will so so proud. I'd like someone to hold a fun cooking party like that, and then just bring me the pies. I've never met a pie crust I could not wreck.

Paige said...

By the way, if your next post is about how your house is decorated and your shopping is done I'm going to have to stop reading.

mamasuisse said...

Paige, big projects like this only get done when a friend is the driving force behind it. My next post may be about my messy house and my nervous breakdown.

Nancy said...

Wow! This sounds like a fun way to do a huge project! I have Martha's to-die-for pie crust recipe (got it from Pam...) which I swear by however, I have not mastered how to make it look pretty. Do you use that recipe?

Courtney said...

Wow! How nice to have friends that organize such things. Wish I were your neighbor!

Liz said...

Wow Susan - you're crazy and super efficient! I might have a hard time doing a party like that because I hate the feel of flour and would have to wear rubber gloves the whole time I made the pie crusts.

Anonymous said...

Susan:
Try "edclan", it was Liz's password in college for a while. And then, of course, delete this comment so I can resume my anonymous status.

Anonymous said...

Also, leave two pies under the freeway onramp at exit 256.
Chocolate is preferred.

mamasuisse said...

To my anonymous commenter: I already tried "edclan" to no avail. Liz wised up and changes her password regularly to foil all hacking attempts.

About the pie, I will trade chocolate pie for overnight child care, unless you are a psycho.

Unknown said...

Susan, That was a lot of fun. I;m proud to be a part of our yearly "Holiday pie-making day."

I will babysit for no pie, you just have to come and help me cover up my chairs that we planed a little over a year ago:0)
Karin