Sunday, September 7, 2008

Peaches

Right now is one of my favorite times of year because of . . .


THIS




We are so lucky to live just down the street from a peach orchard where you can buy an apple box size box of peaches for just $14. And they are SO GOOD!!! This time of year, we live on peaches.


Tonight, I'm making . . .


THIS



I've never made peach cobbler before, but when I found this recipe and saw that it has 5 stars out of over 400 reviews, I figured it's gotta be good.


And see what my cousin and I did last weekend? It took ALL DAY, and we are so proud of ourselves.



My mom suggested making peach butter for neighbor gifts to give at Christmas time. So I got my cousin, Liz, to come down for the weekend so we could do it together. It's very easy, although it takes some time. You just wash your peaches, then cut them in half and throw them in a big pan or crockpot on low heat, skins, pits and all. After they've cooked enough to be simmering in their own juices, you put them through a food processer and chop them to a somewhat coarse but spreadable texture. Remove the pits as you go. Then you combine 4 cups of peach pulp with 3 cups of sugar and 1 Tbsp of white vinegar. Put it on the stove on low heat and cook it down until it's a consistency like jam or jelly when it's cool. This is the part that takes so much time, and you have to be very careful not to burn it. We just set the timer for every 10 minutes, and then Liz would go stir the pots (it's a lot easier for her to get up and move than it is for me right now). We made peach butter from sunup to sundown and ended up with 48 half pint jars and 10 pint jars.


Now, the neighbor gifts are mostly done, and my food storage has grown. Wow, I feel like a true Utah Mormon.


UPDATE: Anna made the peach cobbler, and it was very yummy! Too bad it's gone already - next time we're doubling it.

9 comments:

angie said...

OK, Susan, this year I am taking you with me to the peach orchard. Last year I found it, but no one was there or something! I need good peaches!! I am calling you this week, so be ready. Way to go on the peach butter. I seriously have not seen Liz since May!

mamasuisse said...

Angie, come over any time. The low price of my accompanying you to the orchard is just folding a load of laundry or mopping the kitchen floor.

angie said...

I am all for that! Seriously, I will call you tomorrow and set up a time to swing by!

Ashly said...

can I come, too, Angie and Susan????? Hearing about your peach escapade *sounded* so yummy--but *seeing* it truly makes me drool. I'm so proud of you and Liz :) you both look great...i'd never guess you were probably wincing in pain during that photo...(am I right??)

mamasuisse said...

Ashly, you are right. It was quite the chore to climb up onto the table. And I'm surprised it didn't buckle right under me.

16 days (at the most) to go!

queenieweenie said...

That almost makes me want to move to Utah!

Courtney said...

I'm so totally jealous of your close proximity to a cheap peach (hey--those two words have the same letters...isn't there a term for that??) orchard. The peach is one of the best fruits ever. Never had peach butter, but I'll bet its good. I'd be making a bunch of fresh peach pies with mine.

mamasuisse said...

Courtney, I love your "cheap peach" discovery. There must be a term for that, but I don't have a clue what it is.

Tiffani said...

Thanks for your encouraging words. All I can say is that summer this year cannot come any sooner! I can't believe that you made that much jam, food storage here they come! I hope that last part of your pregnancy goes well and that the delivery is a smooth one. I have heard the more kids you have the easier it gets, this one might pop right out...Hang in there super mom!