In May, I posted about our garden. It was our first attempt at sqare foot gardening, and the results have been impressive.
We planted several varieties of tomatoes because we are both novice tomato eaters and don't know what kind we like. We picked over 20 tomatoes last night: Early Girls, Park Swappers, Beefeaters, Oregon Springs, Celebrity, Red Grape, Yellow Pear, Lemon Tomato (so far, my number one favorite), Green Striped, and Purple Cherokee (my number two favorite). We also have basil in the garden, so we can make a really good tomato, basil and fresh mozzarella salad (Caprese Salad) or a similar one with feta cheese and cucumbers (Tomato, Basil and Feta Salad). We planted jalapenos and cilantro, too, so we can make our own salsa pretty soon. Sheryl is going to come over and can salsa with me as soon as we have enough ripe tomatoes at once - it won't be long now.
The kids all have a section of their own where they could plant whatever they wanted. Among other things, they all chose strawberries. Sarah and Abby also both planted Zinnias which I keep cutting and bringing in for our table. They see the fresh flowers and always ask, "Is that from my square?!?" Abby is very proud of her carrots, too (we planted a short variety to work with the boxes), and has already pulled and eaten them all. And Sarah can't wait to cook her green beans.
As you can see, Sam goes nuts over the fresh peas so we can hardly even get any into the house. My favorite part about having a successful garden, aside from the awesome food, is that my kids are excited to eat what they've grown - lettuce, spinach, carrots, basil, cilantro, tomatoes, green beans, peas, and tomatoes galore. And we've learned a lot this year, so next year is bound to be even better.
8 comments:
you've inspired me. I'm going to try to get that book and talk tim into building the boxes...good job on your garden!!
that little sam is so cute! I love that he's always 1/2 nekkid :) lol- so cute when they're toddlers!
That is a really impressive garden, everything looks so yummy!
That is so cool, and I am totally doing that with my kids someday. While all the other kids at school are snacking on fruit roll-ups and chips, mine will be bringing vegetables. And they will love it.
I'm so impressed by your garden. I really want to put a garden in our backyard - it won't be as big and impressive as yours, but then again there are only two/three of us. I hope I can be motivated enough to keep up with it.
That's totally impressive. I would say that I'm going to do that next spring or when my kids get older but I know I'm not going to. So I admire you all the more for doing that! That's one of those things that would be a story printed in the Ensign about what a good mother you are.
Way to go Christensen family! Our garden consists of two pumpkins that Chase started in school last year. My parents are big gardeners, so whenever we go up to Cache Valley, Brooke loves to help! They send me home with lots of vegetables!
I'm SO very jealous! I never got around to planting anything this year. I want some tomatoes!
That is so cool! our garden is nothing like that! We have some tomatoes but that's about it
Post a Comment