Monday, February 9, 2009

Nursing Update

A month ago, we found out that Leah's weight had fallen from the 25th to the 10th percentile. Since then, we've been trying to supplement her with a little formula, but she is a STUBBORN baby. She has absolutely refused the bottle. We tried different nipples, different formulas, different people trying to feed her, but she just screamed and screamed until, after about half an hour of trying, we gave up. I even tried dipping the bottle nipple into Karo syrup. That worked for about 5 seconds before we had to dip it again. By about the 5th time we dipped the bottle, she learned to stick her tongue out to get the syrup while refusing to open her mouth. She looks hilarous with her gums clamped furiously closed. So while the syrup trick didn't work, at least it entertained us.

After a couple weeks of this, I didn't push it so hard thinking that if she were hungry, she would eat, right? Wrong.

She had her 4 month checkup on Tuesday and has fallen completely off the growth chart. In the past month, she has only gained 3 ounces (about 1/8 of what she should have gained)! The doctor said she doesn't act overly hungry because she has gotten used to a small amount of food, and we need to get her used to eating more. Since she is so bottle resistant, I have to wean her completely (yes, I cried).

He gave me a couple suggestions for getting her to take a bottle. The hard one would have been for me to leave for a couple of days so she couldn't even hear my voice, and for Steve to tough it out until she got hungry enough to take the bottle from him.

Luckily, she is doing well with the easier solution. Doc suggested mixing her formula up with some apple juice to make it more sweet and tempting. Genius! Steve tried it first using a bottle that is supposed to be about as close to nursing as you can get. She fussed a little bit, but once she caught the flavor of the sweetened stuff, she did great. She'll even take the bottle from me. We're gradually decreasing the juice until she'll take the formula straight. I've got her down to about 1/4 juice, but she's still refusing the bottle when I try to give her straight formula. I'm nursing her, too, but as we feed her more and her stomach stretches, I can tell it's not going to last long - stupid thyroid.



She's skinny, but I don't think she's quite as bad as Sam was. I won't know for sure until I gain a more distant perspective a few months from now. We jerry-rigged our postage scale with a basket and weighed her on Friday. She gained 5 ounces in just 3 days (and that was in a dry diaper before she ate!)

8 comments:

Jayne said...

Leah looked so cute on Saturday. We loved seeing everyone. All of your kids are so adorable, so creative. What a wonderful blessing they are. I loved how Anna helped so much with Leah. I have enjoyed so much watching you grow up and turn into such a remarkable mother and remarkable woman. I love you lots.

Ashly said...

susan- i'm so sorry you've had to deal with this- but it sounds like she's starting to catch on, which is great :) I've decided to wean Brooklyn as well after the latest round of thrush that both of us have had. She took a bottle for the first time on thursday, which was momentous. I keep telling myself that mom only nursed me for about 6 weeks I think, and I still love her dearly... anyway- good luck :) she is so, so, so cute!

Erin said...

I am so sorry you had to feel so desperate... and to feel that you have to stop nursing when you love it. You are amazing and I am glad to hear that the apple juice worked!

angie said...

Oh, it is so fun to figure out these little ones! You are a wonderful mom to try so many things for her. What an angel she is!!!

S said...

I don't envy you Susan, that sounds terrible!
And does it ever make you wonder, I'm trying my darndest (and maybe even replace that r with an m) to get this baby to eat, and she won't do it, so how do all those babies with crack-addict/warcraft addicted mothers survive? I think it's one of those mysteries of life. Good luck! And bring on the juice!

alpinekleins said...

Oh! That cute little bug, just when you think you have everything under control . . . just goes to show how unique and different they all are.

Kristin

queenieweenie said...

that's exactly what I had to do with my youngest to get her to take a bottle!

Jenibelle said...

We had the "skim milk from Mom" problem also. Some of us just don't have the fat content in our milk (I very selfishly kept the fat on my body...lol). You gave it your all, bless your heart. She'll be fine. She sure is cute!!