Sunday, November 9, 2008

SHHH . . . Don't Wake the Baby

One of my favorite times of day is BEDTIME. I love to crawl into my soft, cozy bed with a book that I read until I fall asleep.



Since Leah is still in our bedroom, though, I haven't been able to read at night, and I MISS IT. I used to have a decent booklight, but it has disappeared along with everything else of interest to a 2 year old that is not nailed down.


The other night, I scrounged around until I found a flashlight and took it to bed with me so I could read without waking up the little angel. I was feeling a little guilty about staying up reading so late, but it was pure heaven.


Until . . .



. . . a big, hairy spider crawled down the sheets right over my arm. Have you ever had to freak out quietly so as not to wake the baby? It's not easy.


Forget sleeping when the baby sleeps. I may never go to bed without my flashlight again!

18 comments:

angie said...

Reading anything good? Yeah, I would have had nightmares all night long!

Heather said...

Is that your bed? Lovely. But I can't believe you are still in a queen size bed. You must still like Steve to touch you at night.

queenieweenie said...

OH MY!!! I would have FREAKED out...sleeping baby or not!

Reading till I fall asleep is my favorite!

Courtney said...

I totally hate spiders, but I get it. I would have freaked out quietly too. Poor Ray really gets the brunt of it around here. If he makes the slightest noise while Maddie is in her crib, asleep or not, he gets the look of death from me. Don't know how I'll deal when there is more than one kid in the house! Its just when babies are such light sleepers ...well... sometimes we moms can be sorta crazy.

Anna Banana said...

Freaky mom! I hate spiders! Don't they know that they're crawling all over someone?!? kinda creepy.

Ashly said...

um...yuck.
so did you kill it?!
and kudos to you for not waking Leah :) and aren't you glad you *were* up reading?? otherwise it could have been crawling on you and you wouldn't have known it. you're welcome.

Grandma Aileen said...

Looking forward to seeing you for Thanksgiving. Just leave the spider at home!
Love You,
Grandma Aileen

Jayne said...

That is some spider. When Bob and I were living in Waco, Texas going to Baylor Univ there were the biggest cockroaches. I couldn't squish them so I would put plastic glasses over them. One night I went to bed with a cracker and the next morning I woke up with half a cockroach. I have never been able to eat crackers (or cockroaches) since. Looking forward to seeing you for Thanksgiving. Also I posted a picture doing my cartwheel for Erin's good news.I did this for you after your comment on Erin's blog. Love you, Jayne

mamasuisse said...

Jaynee, I don't believe you. That CANNOT be true!

Rach said...

Oh, gross! That spider is disgusting! I actually had the same thing happen to me. . . but no baby in the room and Brad slept through it. So it wasn't a silent freak out, but nobody helped me get it either. I called Osborn spray the next day:)

kate's saga said...

the story was so nice...then a picture just popped up of a hairy spider!! ahh I got the chills

Katy said...

Two Words: BUG BOMB.


shudders and heebie jeebies all over-- I can just imagine the "whispering scream of death" --- all coming out in one terror-filled whoosh of air... maybe a squeak or two... yep.. been there. done that.

but i scream a lot. a lot.

mamasuisse said...

Katy, "whispering scream of death" is the PERFECT description. That hilarious phrase is going to stay in my head for quite some time.

Liz said...

Disgusting! I hate spiders & always feel like there's one crawling down my back when I'm leaning against the wall to feed the baby in bed. Now I'm going to be even more paranoid. Thanks for that.

Jenibelle said...

Bugs don't bug me so I would be great in this crisis, I would have taken care of it for you. Snakes on the the other hand....whoo doggies, call 911 cause Jenibelle would be out for the count!!!

S said...

That's so gross. Now you'll have to check for spiders for the next year every time you get into bed!

The Murdocks said...

I freaked just seeing the picture - how gross. And by the way your bed is so beautiful.

mamasuisse said...

Confession time. I wish that was my bed - it is beautiful. I was just too lazy to go to the trouble to take a picture of my own, so I found a cozy looking one online. Anna's bed, though, which is also the one I grew up with, looks remarkably like the online bed.