Sunday, November 30, 2008

Night Terrors

Over the past month, Sarah has woken up 3 different times because of night terrors. About.com says, "When you hear how most experts describe night terrors, it is easy to see why parents find them distressing. Children who have night terrors are usually described as 'bolting upright' with their eyes wide open, with a look of fear and panic, and letting out a 'blood curdling scream'. These kids will usually also be sweating, breathing fast and have a rapid heart rate (autonomic signs). And although it will seem like they are awake, during a night terror, children will appear confused, will not be consolable and won't recognize you." Night terrors can be caused by over-tiredness or stress, and usually the child doesn't remember them in the morning.



The first time, she woke up screaming and sweating and babbling something about the house only being halfway done and wanting to be a zoo keeper. It was a little funny and a little frightening, but once we figured out what was going on, we could deal with it much better.

The second time, she was screaming about having to clean her room by herself. Are you sensing a pattern here?



Last night, she woke up screaming again. Steve took care of her and doesn't know what it was about, so this morning, I asked her. Confused, she answered, "Nightmare? I had a good dream last night." No help there.

At least two of the three times, she, apparently, had nightmares about chores! So I've started wondering . . . . Am I stressing her out by making her clean her room? Is picking up her toys and clothes too difficult? Am I really that tough of a taskmaster, that she would have choremares?!?

I hope she outgrows it soon. Anyone who has known Sarah for a while knows how loud and ear-piercing her scream can be. It's quite an unnerving sound at 2 in the morning. At least she doesn't remember it.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

At least only you are being haunted by them. Chores stressful? Mmhh...I think it's probably just coincidence, not the reason for them...but what do I know? Good luck!

Liz said...

Sounds like fun! Good luck with all of that.

Katy said...

hmmmm... gets me thinkin', if "I" start screaming in the middle of the night about my chores, maybe someone will get so freaked out he'll do them all.... Taylor? Taylor?

If it helps, give Sarah an extra hug from us before bed!

angie said...

OK Susan, we have been dealing with Chase and night terrors for a couple years now! I thought he would grow out of them as well. they come in spurts, but believe me, I totally understand the scary nature of them. There have been times when I swear he was possessed. He hasn't had one for a couple of months, so maybe we are finally done. The pattern I have noticed with him has been when he is sick, we are out of town, or he is really hot in his room. Usually if we can get him to go to the bathroom or something, it helps him snap out of it. It is sooo much fun!

Ashly said...

wow. that *does* sound fun. ;) on the bright side- at least you don't have *multiple* children having night-terrors simultaneously. hope she outgrows it soon as well.

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan, I remembered your blog address and your site is very cute
Holly

queenieweenie said...

Oh..my second oldest had those around that age. NOT FUN!

alpinekleins said...

Interesting huh? One of our children, Cory, was prone to them also. They are pretty freaky! He didn't remember them either. Every once in a while I would forget to warn potential sleep over victims - that was always interesting . . .