Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Good Manners = Respect

As all mothers know, a two-year-old's favorite word is usually a loud whiny "NO!" Very annoying.

I've worked hard with Sam to get him to say no politely and in a nice voice. It seems to have taken.

I ask him if he wants some salad
He says politely while violently shaking his head, "No thank you."

I say, "Sam, it's bed time."
He says, in his sad (but still nice) voice, "No thank you."



"Sam, it's shower time."
"No thank you."



As he runs away from me, "Sam, come back!"
Still running, "No thank you."



"Sam quit holding yourself and go use the potty."
"No thank you."



"Do you need to go on time-out!"
"No thank you."

"Pick your trash up off the floor, please."
"No thank you."

"Are you going to throw up?"
"No thank you."



In the movie Blast From the Past, Adam learns from his mother that "good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them." It would appear that Sam has lots of respect for me . . . or am I missing something?

11 comments:

Ashly said...

oh, my side...! I cannot stop laughing. let's hope that carries through to school years :)

Katy said...

HILARIOUS!!!! I LOVE this boy! He's so BIG now, where'd the time go???

Jenibelle said...

Very cute! Nothing like a polite young man, it will charm and impress all the girls. That's just what you want, huh?

diane said...

That is so sweet and funny!

alpinekleins said...

Hi Susan,

It's so wonderful to get to know some of these fun little things about your family. Keep up the good work :)

Kristin

kate's saga said...

Haha sam is hilarious! That's so funny that you go pictures that match all of your quotes perfectly.

The Murdocks said...

How funny - I was laughing out loud. What a cute - well mannered child you have raised. Sounds like you are doing a better job than me at mothering. I have told my kids five times in the past ten minuets to go brush my teeth and instead of telling me no they just flat out ignore me. so way to go at least Sam would say no thank you to that one too.

queenieweenie said...

that is too cute!

Grandma Aileen said...

That Sam is so cute. He tickles me pink. I want to see some more pictures of Leah. I hope I will get to see her before I go back to Calif.
Love you lots, Grandma

Jayne said...

Susan-you have such cute kids. I love reading the stories and reading their blogs. You all are so creative. Well if you decide to come next Wed, just bring everyone. I think Tonya is in town until Friday. And Jim and Jennifer had their baby yesterday at 7:50AM. Your Uncle Dan wasn't sure of his name.
Love you lots
Jayne

Linsey said...

My oldest is a 2 year-old and I find so often my great ideas for how to discipline and control his 2 year-oldness come back to haunt me. I was delighted to discover that even a pro at 2 year-olds sometimes suffers the same fate.

I found you through Paige and I'll be back often to drink of your expertise. By the way, your baby is adorable, in fact all of your kids are cute and you do not look old enough to be the mother of 6!