Thursday, January 1, 2009

Leah's Blessing

We had an awesome day on Sunday. It was Leah's blessing day, and we were so happy to be able to bless her in California with most of our family there. She's the last grandbaby on Steve's side of the family and named for his mom, so it was especially nice that she could be there.


I love her beautiful dress.



I love that Steve sincerely enjoyed ironing her beautiful dress.


It warmed my heart to see him take pleasure in such a sweet and simple thing for his last daughter. With our oldest child already 15, we've learned to try to appreciate and savor the quick, tender moments. That's not always easy to do, especially at 3 a.m., but at least we try.



Steve gave her a very sweet blessing that I had to concentrate hard to hear because Leah cried the whole time. Nana (Martha) took the blessing down in shorthand that she learned way back in the olden days. In the circle were Daddy Steve, Grandpa Steve, Uncle Steve, Dave, Brad, Scott, Chris, and Erin Butler. Later, Steve (Daddy Steve) and Brad were laughing about how high they were bouncing her to try and soothe her. They had her lifted up to almost head level, 5-6 feet above the floor, and her feet were higher than her head. Of course, no one else could see that because she was inside the circle they made around her. Steve wanted to pause in the blessing to direct them to bring her down a little, especially the feet end. That must have been a powerful distraction for him, but he soldiered through without a hitch.



We had all the family over to my mom's house afterwards for dinner and were able to get some beautiful pictures of Leah with her cousin, Will, in their blessing outfits.



Sam calls them Weah and Weahll.



The best part is that the whole family from both sides was in the same place at the same time, so we didn't have to run ourselves ragged trying to see everyone. It was my favorite day of this whole Christmas season!

15 comments:

Katy said...

I'm just dying over how beautiful Leah's gown is-- it's just perfect! Great pictures, I especially love the one with "Weah and Weahll" (i do love Same!) cuddling! Taylor and I are wishing with all our hearts that we could've been there too (and not only because it's not buried in 5 feet of snow too!) Glad it was such a great day!!

Anonymous said...

Those are the most beautiful babies I've ever seen.

Ashly said...

beautiful, gorgeous babies. and I was literally in tears imagining baby Leah's joy-ride during her blessing and Steve trying not to give direction to the bouncers- hilarious and precious :)

angie said...

So glad you were able to have a great day! Her blessing dress was gorgeous!

wenderful said...

Congratulations to sweet Leah. Beautiful dress! So glad the day went well. Sounds like you had a great time in California.
Happy New Year.

alpinekleins said...

What beautiful photos and beautiful comments. So glad you had such a wonderful day. We've missed you here, come home safe!

Liz said...

I love that picture with Will & Leah. It'll be a classic.

Jayne said...

Susan--I love the pictures--so sweet. And I love that Steve ironed Leah's blessing dress and he loved it. That is like Bob. He would also find pleasure in ironing his daughters dress. What gems they are.
Love you,
Jayne

C said...

Adorable, Susan! Leah is so beautiful. Simply stunning in her dress, love the picture of her precious little face in the bonnet. I hope you guys have a safe trip back to Utah. When things get back to "normal" in January, give me a call/email. Would be fun to get together again.

queenieweenie said...

what a perfect day!

A man who irons...WOW.

Jenibelle said...

Beautiful dress, did you make it? That baby is gorgeous and I love, love, love her name!

Grandma Aileen said...

I wish I could of been there. I have a hard time seeing the pictures but I can tell that Leah is so beautiful.
Love you all lots,
Grandma

mamasuisse said...

No way did I make that dress! I can hardly find time to shower. I wish I had time to sew her a beautiful dress, but since I sell them, getting it wholesale is the next best thing, right?

Unknown said...

As you ALREADY know I am sure---Beautiful, Beautiful! How sweet the two of them!

Oh, Sweet!... said...

I am so glad you were in California! I would have been so sad to miss her blessing if it had been here. She looked so beautiful! What a wonderful day! I want to have you over for your birthday! Look at your calendar and let me know what day works for you! Sure miss you!