Thursday, August 7, 2008

From Time to Eternity . . .

My sister-in-law, Susan, passed away yesterday after battling inflammatory breast cancer for the past several months. This type of breast cancer is very aggressive and hard to diagnose, and it tends to hit younger women, so it's a good idea to be familiar with the symptoms. Susie has lived in southern Sweden for the past 10+ years on a beautiful farm with her husband, Håkan (a Swede), and her 2 kids.

About a month ago, Steve got to go to Sweden to spend a week with her. Among other things, he was able to help her have a wonderful last day at home.



Playing with the mini-Shetland ponies




Steve up a tree picking cherries



Enjoying the fruits of their labors



Steve with Susie and her two kids, Hanna (8) and Henrik (11), playing the guitar and enjoying the farm. Håkan is the photographer.


I'm so sad to think of Susie's kids growing up without their mother and her husband losing his companion. We're all going to miss Susie so much - her sense of humor and wonderful laugh, her gentle and sensitive heart, her love for animals, her accepting and empathetic perspective on the challenges we all face in life. I'm so grateful, especially now, for the gospel of Jesus Christ, for the perspective that it gives us on eternity and eternal families. A couple of months ago, she wrote me an email that expressed so perfectly how I feel: "I am so happy that you are my sister-in-law and that I will have the eternities to get to know you better and spend time with you!" I love you, Susie, and can't wait to see you again someday.

7 comments:

Liz said...

I'm sorry to hear that Susie passed away. We're praying for all of you.

Ashly said...

susan- i'm sure sorry to hear about your sister-in-law. Those were sweet pictures. I'm so grateful for the gospel as well- I can't imagine having to face things like this without it.

Anonymous said...

My heart and prayers are with you and your fam during your loss of your sister in law, Im so sorry. She's lucky to have a great family- immediate and extended!

Katy said...

SUSAN!!! I am SUCH a TARD!!!! If I wasn't Cracking up right now, over my extreme idiocy- I'd probably cry... did I just PICK a name out of the air and stick it to yours?? I wasn't even Close!!! I'm so sorry, "Liz M"!!!! Thanks for sweetly correcting... I'm changing it right now!!! oh and I'm Still chuckling over what Sam said... that's SO CUTE!!! I love him!

Rach said...

I love the Christensen family. I am so saddened by this sudden change in their family, but yes they will be together again. I don't know how people make it without that surety. I love you and am looking forward to seeing you while you are here.

Jenibelle said...

Is she from the Bay Area? I saw this in the paper and was so sad for her family. I was hoping she was eternally sealed, glad to know she is. My condolences to your family.

The Sallstroms said...

The settings in these pictures are so pretty. I'm really glad she got to visit her farm, and it's good there is so many pictures.