Friday, May 2, 2008

About a Garden

One of the most delightful things about a garden is the anticipation it provides. ~ W.E. Johns

A few years ago, I got Steve to build some raised bed planter boxes for a garden. I gave him fairly specific instructions which he followed halfway. But instead of putting good soil into them, he found fill dirt from somewhere (it was cheaper). It was typical Utah clay and was full of weed seeds. We planted a garden for three years in a row, but for various reasons, we have had limited success - in part because I got sick of fighting with the weeds that didn't need to be there.

I finally put one of my new favorite books,
Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew, on Steve's pillow after I told him that Mel Bartholomew teaches a class at BYU Education Week (that gave him some credibility). He actually read it!!! His conversion was so profound that he even built a few planter boxes for his mom. He put bottoms on the boxes and set them up on saw horses so that his mom can garden without having to stoop over. What a good, kind son. These are our preliminary results.




We now have excellent weed free soil mix that is one part peat moss, one part vermiculite, and one part compost (the compost is a mixture of 5 different types).





All of the kids helped mix soil and load it into our 3 big planter boxes.







Sarah helped the most by keeping Sam out of Steve's car where the Sharpie is and by keeping him from removing every last stitch of clothing (although he got very close).





We were only able to get two of the three planter boxes finished that first evening, so the next day, naked Sam helped Steve finish up. I had less success than Sarah did at keeping Sam dressed that day. But at least if he's naked outside, it doesn't matter so much where he pees.





The next step, planting, will happen on Saturday, more fondly known by me as Slave Labor Day. I'll post more pictures as soon as we see some results.

9 comments:

Katy said...

Great Job on the gardens!! I love the pictures of your cute kids too- especially the last one of your little sweetie helping out your big sweetie! so cute!!

Courtney said...

Oh My Gosh!!!! I am laughing hysterically! That last picture is classic. Not only that your adorable little guy is a streaker, but the composition of the photo in general. Love how even their garden tools are in the same parallel (sp?) position!! Too funny.

I read the a condensed magazine article of that book about 3 years back and planted my garden accordingly. I divided my (small: 5x5) garden into 25 sqares with white twine. Melissa teased me a lot about my "perfect squares", but is now this year going to square-foot her garden! Have fun with it. Its seems you are already are! :)

Emily said...

I'm not pregnant! I got that good news the very next day, which is why, in fact, I cried during every song. I have no idea how to garden anything. Send Matthew over and he can make my yard some sort of eagle scout project.

Liz said...

Good job on all the gardening. What a great family project. I would love to learn how to garden. One of these days (when our backyard is more usable), I'm going to plant one.

Ashly said...

oh. my. gosh. *love* that pic of Sam and your hubby--too flipping cute. little mini-me!! And your garden beds look awesome- color me impressed- good luck with the planting and growing and be sure to post pics of your crop!

Anonymous said...

Hey there. We did 2 square foot gardens last year for the first time and Wah-Lah, we were actually successful! I am a big believer in them. They are so easy and the soil is fabulous. You are going to LOVE the fruits of your labor this summer. Did I tell you that my neighbor is childhood friends with Steve? Here name is KaraLee Switzer. I don't know her maiden name. She knew him in junior high or high school. Small world.

Sheryl said...

Sam is such a classic little guy. Can he come work in my yard too-he looks very focused!?!

Heather said...

yep-Mel's way is the only way to go!!!

I'm such a believer! (although I do think they are sort of ugly..you will LOVE not having to weed)

Rach said...

When can he put in ours?