Sam has two cousins who are 1 and 2 months older than him (Sammie and Lily). They both talk almost non-stop, and you can even understand what they are saying. Sammie even speaks some Spanish.
I know boys are OFTEN slower than girls with their language, but I couldn't help wishing Sam would speed it up a little. His cousins were leaving him in the dust. Then my good friend, Michele, read him this tractor book. That very day, he started saying:
O-I pronounced with a long o and short i (FORKLIFT)
He'll even tell you which part of a combination vehicle is the loader and which part is the backhoe.
We've also introduced him to the words for:
COO-BA pronounced like tuba (SCHOOLBUS)
Apparently, all it took was the right inspiration because ever since that day, it's like the language lightbulb has turned on for him. He's so excited to say his new words and that we can understand him. He's constantly trying new words now and will mimic almost anything we say. It's so fun.
The one drawback about his passion for motorized vehicles is that he will no longer sleep in the car - it's just too exciting out there on the road. He spends hours pointing and growling (truck noises) and telling us what all the different vehicles are. He can tell them apart like you can tell apart a giraffe and an elephant. I always thought a tractor is a tractor is a tractor . . . it would appear that there is more to it than that, and Sam has now left me in the dust.







6 comments:
AWESOME!!!! That's so cute! I found myself repeating the words in his pronunciation out loud... and Taylor walked in and heard me... laughed and walked away! Sam's a handsome little guy!
He's turning into a real man. Only talking about what is important to them!
He's so cute, can't wait to see you next month.
My nephew is the same; he didn't start talking until he discovered dumptrucks, front-loaders and forklifts, all of that stuff. He calls a firetruck a "Neeno" because thats the noise the siren makes. I thought he was talking about the fish.
He's such a cutie! Boys definitely talk much later than boys. At least MINE did! My oldest had to translate for her brother for the first 5 years of his life. Even I couldn't understand him. It was fun to meet you at Blogapalooza!
Cute post. Thank you for the mini Sam dictionary. I can totally hear him when reading the pronunciaton. His shirt looks so cute on him too. I bet he loves it.
That's just like a boy!
Post a Comment