I've been in a really foul mood all day, and should probably have just stayed home in bed. But as a mother to five children, I didn't have time to do that. I had to go to Wal-Mart (one of my least favorite stores).
While I was there, I got the perfect opportunity to vent my foul mood. I was accosted in Wal-Mart's dairy aisle by a venom spewing woman who called me a bad mother. She called me a bad mother because Sam didn't have on shoes and socks and said, "Be a parent, for G..'s sake." Her tone of voice and face were absolutely venomous - it was really amazing to see. I've never been approached out of the blue by a complete stranger like that. After she spewed at me, she turned to walk away like a coward.
But, oh no. That was not happening!
So I followed her through the dairy section while my kids looked on in amazement.
It went something like this . . .
Susan: Excuse me.
B (we all know what that stands for, right?): No response
Susan: You need to listen to me.
B: Shakes head and keeps walking away
Susan: (Yelling now) Excuse me!
B: Probably a little frightened now by the scene I'm making, stops and turns around, while her friend stands there looking mortified.
Susan: You've got a lot of gall. You don't know anything about me. This child had socks on and he took them off.
B: Well then you should carry extra socks with you. What's going to happen when you take him outside now?
Susan: Well, obviously his feet will be cold for the 30 seconds it takes us to get into the car. . . How old are you?
B: How old are YOU!?
Susan: You're like what? A 22 year old know-it-all?
Then she dropped the "F" bomb on me. So I said, "That's classy," and walked away. Class is important, even in Wal-Mart (says the woman who just went yelling through the dairy aisle).
My kids didn't know what to think. Thankfully, they were too far away to hear because I'd followed her several steps down the aisle. If I'd been in a better mood to begin with, it could have ruined my day. But given the mood I'd started in, it was actually an improvement. I was happy for my kids to see me stand up for myself without it ruining my day. Although I can't stop thinking of all the things I should have said - I sure wish I was quicker on my feet. And I should have snapped her picture, dang it!!
While I was there, I got the perfect opportunity to vent my foul mood. I was accosted in Wal-Mart's dairy aisle by a venom spewing woman who called me a bad mother. She called me a bad mother because Sam didn't have on shoes and socks and said, "Be a parent, for G..'s sake." Her tone of voice and face were absolutely venomous - it was really amazing to see. I've never been approached out of the blue by a complete stranger like that. After she spewed at me, she turned to walk away like a coward.
But, oh no. That was not happening!
So I followed her through the dairy section while my kids looked on in amazement.
It went something like this . . .
Susan: Excuse me.
B (we all know what that stands for, right?): No response
Susan: You need to listen to me.
B: Shakes head and keeps walking away
Susan: (Yelling now) Excuse me!
B: Probably a little frightened now by the scene I'm making, stops and turns around, while her friend stands there looking mortified.
Susan: You've got a lot of gall. You don't know anything about me. This child had socks on and he took them off.
B: Well then you should carry extra socks with you. What's going to happen when you take him outside now?
Susan: Well, obviously his feet will be cold for the 30 seconds it takes us to get into the car. . . How old are you?
B: How old are YOU!?
Susan: You're like what? A 22 year old know-it-all?
Then she dropped the "F" bomb on me. So I said, "That's classy," and walked away. Class is important, even in Wal-Mart (says the woman who just went yelling through the dairy aisle).
My kids didn't know what to think. Thankfully, they were too far away to hear because I'd followed her several steps down the aisle. If I'd been in a better mood to begin with, it could have ruined my day. But given the mood I'd started in, it was actually an improvement. I was happy for my kids to see me stand up for myself without it ruining my day. Although I can't stop thinking of all the things I should have said - I sure wish I was quicker on my feet. And I should have snapped her picture, dang it!!
Of course, Sam should have had socks on, even though it was a balmy 40 degrees. In my defense, he did have them on at some point between the car and the store. But if I'm going to be honest, I have to admit that he does go around on occasional quick trips with bare feet. Does that make me a bad mom? Maybe. But I'm a good enough mom in plenty of other areas (and more important ones) that I think the lack of socks is cancelled out.
I'm willing to bet that once this woman has more than one child of her own, she'll eventually lose their socks on a cold day, and this whole incident will come back to haunt her. It will probably eat her up with regret for the rest of her life that she treated someone that way.
Eventually, she's likely to learn the lesson, too, that is sinking in deeper for me each day. You're not allowed to be a know it all until you've raised at least two children through their teens. By then, most people know better. I know nothing, and I expect to know even less every day for the rest of my life.
17 comments:
Good job on the photo shop with the blue feet. I thought they were really that blue at first. I can't believe what a "W"itch that girl was. I wish I had been there to defend you. I could have had plenty of smart things to say to her. Good job for standing up to her without swearing. I'm really proud of you.
I probably wouldn't have had anything witty to say, but I am pretty sure I could have beat her up. And I would have, had I been there. You are a rockstar for not punching her in the face right then. You are an awesome mom, and she is obviously an imbecile.
PS, your comment on my blog was hilarious! I remember the day we convinced my mom that the 80s were over and it was high time she stop wearing blue eye shadow. So nasty!
Actually, I think she would have been fine withough you (no being mean)( please read paragraphs nine and ten, and also comment number two on Happy Birthday Matthew!!!((and just incase a totally rich generous dude is reading this comment, the last paragraph of that post.)) By the way, I just barely noticed that the beginning of each paragraph on happy birthday matthew start with a letter in me name.
I love how it made your day better to holler back. Way to go. I always think I'm going to be too freaked to yell back until I actually do. It feels gooood.
way to go... I wouldn't have let a 'thinks she knows everything' little girl walk away without giving her some much needed advice either.
Glad you felt better!!
LOVE your blog btw.
You're a way better person than me! I've never had the F-bomb said to my face, but I've had a few hand signs! I'm glad your kids were there to see their fabulous mother stick up for herself and not let a mean hateful woman(?) get away with that! When we allow people to get away with saying mean things, it just encourages them to be mean again! I can think of a few people I wish I'd had the guts to call on things thoughtlessly said. LOVE YOU!! If you need a new blue eye shadow, let me know.
What a horrible girl!! I'm so glad you stood up for yourself, I hope she has 15 horrible brats that drive her crazy.
Is that too mean?
Not too mean for her, just too mean for the 15 poor brats.
Oh, I'm totally the holl-a-back girl too, and I'd love to chase a woman through WalMart to give her a piece of my mind. Unfortunately, it just could be me dropping the F-bomb if someone said that stuff to me! So glad you chased her down.
i'm thinking it's all because you were in walmart...(known as Hellmart in our house). that place seriously brings out the evil in everyone, but I'm glad you got after her. Didn't her mama teach her not to mess with Roark women (some of the best mothers in the world)?? I thought everyone knew that ;)
ashly
I am the type of person that thinks of things I could have said AFTER the confrontation. I'm glad you said something though! What a horrible person, and to a complete stranger! That's what happens when you go to VoldeMart.
Oh you are so nice! I know, I probably should have mentioned that I couldn't go from the beginning since we are here in CA looking for jobs, but I kept hoping some miracle would happen and that I would be able to fly out there last minute for it! At least I get to go to the shower here in Danville though. I hope you all had fun! Did anyone take pictures?
OH man! You would have had to hold me back...that kinda stuff gets me goin'! Good job for making a stand. You sound like a GREAT mom and maybe this punk had a crappy mom and she took it out on you. PS Love your blog!!!
Sorry, I'm blurking. But good for you! Don't you just LOVE it when adrenilin takes over and gives you the courage to say what NEEDS to be said?!! Bravo, Bravo, Bravo.
How did he get the blue feet btw?
I hate after something happens and you are so bugged because there are things you wish you said!
but you did a good thing!
Sam looks so cute in that picture! I was wondering what was on his feet
Post a Comment