Monday, June 15, 2009

California Trip Part 1 (Martha's Birthday)

Before I start my post, I just want to issue a formal apology to Holly for letting over a month lapse since my last post. I will try to do better for you.

We just got home from a fun trip to California. Our main reason for going was to celebrate my mom's 60th birthday. It's always hard to think of a gift for my mom that she will really love. This year, though, we had such a killer gift for her that I absolutely had to be there when we gave it to her.

We almost surprised her by showing up at her door unannounced but decided a couple of days before we left that it would be a bit much to drop a family of 8 on her without any warning. We got there on Saturday and started a week long celebration with barbecues, pool parties, lunches, dinners and lots of family. With so many people's schedules to take into account, sometimes you have to have several parties so that everyone can be included. It was awesome!





Amy comes up with the best gifts. She is my hero.



Zach, Timmy and Lily's 60 favorite things about Nana for her 60th birthday



The best day was the family dinner the Friday night after her birthday. Rich and Becky did surprise her by flying in that afternoon and showing up at the restaurant.



It's so fun to make Martha cry.



This was also the night we gave her her big group gift.



It's so exciting - what could it be? Something out of this world from Anthropologie maybe?



She knows it's something good. She just doesn't know how good . . .



. . . and that it's been in the works for over 2 years.



Uh-oh. Here come the waterworks.



Steaming up



Better lose the glasses



You started working on this when!?!



Yep, over 2 years ago with Amy as the whip hand.



Thank you so much Amy - it never would have happened without you.



Yes, I know it's blurry, but it's the only picture I have that shows most of the group.



Two years in the planning and executing, with a final scramble in the last couple months to get it done, and Martha has a quilt made by all her daughters and embroidered with the whole family's signatures. It was an awesome birthday week!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I might be crying a little. That is so sweet! You Edgrens are awesome.

Katy said...

YAAAY!!! You're BACK!!! I've been MISSING you!

This post made me all sorts of sissylala-- it's just so sweet that you ALL got together and celebrated such an amazing woman. I am always so grateful that the family I married into is so close and terrific... this totally includes the aunts, uncles, and all the many cousins!!!

thanks for the post!

queenieweenie said...

What a sweet tribute to your mama! I'll have to put that in my idea box for my own mom.

alpinekleins said...

Sounds like just a wonderful family time. The quilt is beautiful! I'm about to start one for Karianne's wedding. So NOT my thing, this will probably be a STRESSFUL summer :)

Kristin

Unknown said...

That's wonderful- I didn't realize my mom and yours were so close in age---my mom turned sixty on Friday, (the 12th) however it was nothing too exciting. Guess she deserved better kids---LOL or at least ones who know how to sew.

Ashly said...

oh. my. goodness. what *awesome* gifts for martha- the quilt AND the card from Amy, Seven and their family, AND Rich and Becky surprising her. AWESOME.
*p.s.- I was just getting ready to call and harass you about neglecting your blogging responsibilities but I'm glad I don't have to.

*p.p.s- Tell your mom she looks *fantastic*

Ann Mitchell said...

WOW! THAT QUILT IS TOTALLY AWESOME!

wenderful said...

What a great gift. Totally the perfect gift for your mom!
Darn we just missed you guys. We are headed out Thursday for a week. Wish we could have caught up with each other. Next time.

Dani and Paul said...

That quilt is so amazing. I can't wait to see it in person. I bet that your mom just loved it and especially having all the kids there

Holly said...

Apology accepted...that was a great post, keep em coming

angie said...

What a fun 60th for Martha! That quilt is awesome! You have such a neat family!

Tiffani said...

What a fun time! Your mom is amazing and knowing how much she loves quilts you guys couldn't have given her a better gift.