Monday, May 11, 2009

Christmas Cookies

Yes, I realize it's May. But I found these as I was going through the past few months' pictures and realized I'd never posted them. This is one of my absolute favorite Christmas activities.


Christmas Cookie Decorating Ed***n Style
(Do-Rags Optional)



We start with Nana's awesome rolled sugar cookies. She makes them thin and crisp. Then we dip them in a thin layer of white or pale green icing. Nana's buttercream icing that she makes with browned butter is AWESOME! Let them dry.



Then they're ready to decorate. We put every color of icing we can come up with into little squeeze bottles. The icing is mixed on the thin side so it will easily squeeze out of the bottles.



Hands are always washed first. Does it do any good? Probably not with all the finger-licking going on.



Intense concentration is a must.



The competition is fierce.



Everyone is trying to one-up the cousin next to him/her.





Thin cookies = thin frosting = thin participants?? Maybe not.



Anna is the most fun for me to watch.



She takes her time and comes up with the most detailed designs.



She's an artist through and through.



Some of this year's favorites:





Look at all that detail! Squeeze bottles are by far the best cookie decorating tool there is.




Edible art is the best. Especially when made with black icing!



Yummy!



Thank you, Melissa, for the awesome pictures!

7 comments:

Katy said...

MMMMMM.... lady, you got me droolin all over my keys here! I have GOT to get my hands on Aunt Nancy's recipes... glad you posted these... Christmas in May, I'll never complain!

Ashly said...

so, so, so cute. I'm taking notes for next year-...wish I lived closer because wouldn't that be a fun Big Girls (I mean that figuratively, of course....) activity as well? I'd be all over that. Or it would be all over me, as the case would definitely be....

angie said...

Cute pictures! I love decorating sugar cookies, but I have never tried the bottles. I will have to try that...thank you for the tip. How are you feeling?

Jenibelle said...

Very cute. Very inspiring. But you forgot one thing.

Recipes?

Anonymous said...

Those are AWESOME.

Liz said...

Good times - All the pictures are great, but I really love the one of Lou Lou & Lily - look at the concentration on SL2's face!

Carrie Anne said...

oh wow. those look really good....you & your mom need to have a bakery...or a cooking show...i need all of these tips! those are amazing!