Thursday, April 3, 2008

A Rose By Any Other Name . . .

Thanks to my husband's weird naming talent, my family's nicknames are all really strange. He always starts out with a word that sort of makes sense for the person, but over time, the name keeps morphing into something else until we end up with the following:

Susan: I've had some doozies, some of which are Campy, Arrregion, Loosehead, and Holsey Womp. I don't know where some of the names came from, but others, I can't explain because my blog has to maintain a G rating for my kids. While he was calling me these strange names, he would call our dog his little sweetness. When he finally came up with Mamasuisse, I wisely and stubbornly opted to stick with it. He tries different nicknames out on me from time to time, but so far, Mamasuisse is the only one I've let stick.


Anna: Heeniequeen, Heenie, Heenie-hanna or the Heenstress. This one started when Steve saw our friends, the Hannas, name written out on our dry erase board many years ago. It started out as Hanna (pronounced Honna) and took on a life of its own from there.



Matthew: Cheemer, Cheems, Machu or Pichuage. When Matthew was little, he always protested being called by any of these names. They just aren't cool. But Steve is persistent, so he eventually prevailed, and now Matthew will answer to any of the above names, albeit grudgingly.




Sarah: Nokos or Baby Nokes. Matthew, trying to follow in his dad's footsteps, came up with a good one for her, too. He started calling her Sprph because when she was 5, she would write her A's backwards with really long tails so they looked like P's. She would get really mad about being called Sprph but has finally come to accept it as one of her names.


Abby: Originally Jeebs or Jeebikers, but most recently, Steve just calls her Abbikers. My favorite is one that Matthew came up with for her, Abbigator.







Sam: Wiguez - This one started out as Kiki. Kiki sounds like Chi-chi as in Chi Chi Rodriguez, so it became Kiki Rodriguez which eventually got shortened to Wiguez.











Molly: Xango - started out as Maui, then became Maui Xango because Xango comes from the Southeast Asian mangosteen fruit which is almost Hawaiian???










New baby: One can only imagine. It's always fun to witness the creative process in action. The names can't be forced; they have to occur naturally and spontaneously. I can hardly wait to see what he comes up with this time. And if anyone wants to offer suggestions that he can use as a springboard, feel free.


While the kids may have sometimes fought the names at first, they have finally come to accept them as expressions of their father's affection for them. After all, who wants to be called something as overused as Angel or Pumpkin or Sweetheart?

16 comments:

Celia Fae said...

I wondered about mamasuisse, actually. Cheers to wacky nicknames. My husband calls the cats sweetheart but me booger. Go figure.

mamasuisse said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets the stinker nickname while the pet gets all the love.

Marisa said...

I made brownies tonight, and I would love to give you some if I were in Utah! Unfortunately, I won't be there until tomorrow. ;)

I love nicknames; in fact I was just thinking the other day about how I want my kids to have cool nicknames that are special to our family. I think my favorite of yours is Sprph. I'm assuming it's pronounced like Spurf?

Jenibelle said...

Coming from a family where my sister is 'Hairy', (it stuck, that's the ONLY name she goes by, even at 42 at work at the hospital, at her wedding, "Do you, Hairy Ellis...Serious!!!), one brother-in-law is Boug, one is Oit, one is Bonk. I'd say I got off good with Jenibelle. I guess I'm the favorite!
(And horribly so, we have always called our disbled daughter "Beana" for her little tiny bean brain.

Ashly said...

love the pics of all your kids--they're all *beautiful*...and I love your hair with the side bangs...You look wonderful :)

By the way..did you ever read Ms. Julia Speaks her Mind? And I can't believe Anna is reading Jane Austen already...she must take after her mother :) I just finished I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith- I recommend it if you haven't read it yet.

Katy said...

I think the nicknames are wonderful! As a kid, I insisted on people calling me... Dianne. Yes, Dianne- the kind of name that goes with big permed hair and bright pink lipstick, smacking on a stick of green gum. So now, every once in a while, my brothers will call for "Dianne" and my mom claims I was born in the wrong era- I'm 110% 80's. Go Shakakhan.

Sheryl said...

Dave called me stumpy for a while because he thinks my toes look funny. In all the nick name revealing you forgot to mention the ones Steve has earned himself: Shclaus (sp? Its German and I don't remember what it means anymore), Skeevie, and Spanky are the ones that come to mind...

the wrath of khandrea said...

that picture of your dog is hilarious! i'm not a pet person, but i would consider getting a dog just to dress him up like that.

Courtney said...

I always thought you went by "Mamasuisse" because you live in a place that looks very similar to Switzerland. Was that Steve's inspiration?

Steve and nicknames is so familiar to me--Ben is such a nicknamer too. One of the them must have gotten it from the other!!

It was so fun seeing you guys. Thanks for letting us come by! I'm kicking myself for not snapping your picture!! A post about a road trip is very boring without pics, and I took very few before I discovered my camera's battery had died. So sad! I felt a little cranky-Amelia-crazed while at your house, sadly. But definitely so good seeing you.

Oh, Sweet!... said...

You look beautiful in the photo of yourself!! Wow! It's fun to hear about your nick names. My dad was good at giving us 'creative' names too. Hope you are feeling good!

Rach said...

I'll call your kids sweetheart, honey and all those other overused cute nicknames when you're here next week. Can't wait to see you all.

The Murdocks said...

Great nicknames. my kids are called Zaza - sammie, stitch - carter and yay yay - Wesley. Your pictures of your kids are so cute.

Jessica said...

Here from the blogapalooza list (although I think we've crossed blog paths before??) and I have uncles (my age, long story) who totally do what your husband does here. It's totally amusing unless you are 9 and the only girl cousin and your name somehow morphs into Jellwaba.

janelle said...

Nicknames are very important if you're from a nicknaming family. We have opted out of naming our kids names we loved because they didn't set themselves up well for nicknames.

Example: love the name Scarlett, but you don't want the root of nicknames for your only daughter to be Scar.

Have you ever met people who refuse to use a nickname? They persist with the formal, full name. I'm never sure what to think about that.

Tiffani said...

I am one of Liz's friends and you have inspired me to think outside the box and try to be more creative with pet names for my husband and son.

Next time I am tempted to call one of them sweety or honey, I'll think of you and say something spontaneous, I am anxious to see their reactions.

I hope you are feeling a little better in your pregnancy and I know that you are worried about how you will deal with all of your responsibilities, but you are probably stronger than you think. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

hi my name is sarah & i also have the nickname sprph for the same reason, doing a's that looked like p's, my brother & his friends started to call me sprph all the time & like ur daughter i hated it, now 28 everybody calls me sprph and i wouldnt want it any other way.