Sunday, August 5, 2007

Father Of The Year

Steve gets the Father Of The Year Award; he got 16 month old Sam to do chores!

Sam's very favorite thing to do is to move things. He especially likes to move shoes. We find shoes in the bathtub, in the dishtowel drawer, in the trash can, in the dog food . . . He moves pan lids to the basement, measuring cups to the toilet (that one went straight into the trash), mixing bowls to the trash, dirty diapers out of the trash, and tampons all over the house (it's been over a month since that day, and I'm still finding tampons in random places) . . . Yesterday, he got into the 5 gallon flour canister and made a big pile of flour 3 feet away on the floor. He went back and forth and back and forth moving flour by the handful until he had the equivalent of at least a 5 pound bag piled up. Of course, he was covered head to toe as well (too bad the camera wasn't handy).

Steve wanted to clean out the garage yesterday, but I needed to try and regain some sanity for a few hours. So Steve kept Sam and didn't think he'd get anything done. But he was able to harness Sam's passion for moving things and got him to “help” clean the garage. Sam contentedly hung out in the garage with Steve moving tools and boxes for a couple of HOURS. I really think we’re on to something – we’re going to try him at sorting laundry next.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Susan, That picture of Sam is so cute! I can't believe how much hair he has! I miss you guys!!!

Sheryl said...

I also LOVE that picture of Sam. Wow, he is such a beautiful boy! I can't wait to see you guys next month. I hope I can recognize the rest of the kids. Love the stories!

mamasuisse said...

Emma took that picture of Sam! I think we have a budding photographer on our hands. We can't wait to see you, too!

Martha said...

If Father of the Year would keep that up, you'd have a lot more time on your hands! How could anyone get mad at the beautiful boy!!