I just dropped Abby off at school for her first day of kindergarten. The rest of the kids started school a week ago, so she has been anxiously counting down the days since then. She is in afternoon kindergarten which doesn't start until 12:40, but she got up this morning and was dressed before anyone else. Of course, she had to get undressed again to get a shower, but she still gets an A+ for effort. After she was re-dressed and had her hair done, she put her backpack on, and she has worn it for the rest of the day. When I got home from taking Sarah to school at 9:00 this morning, Abby came out to the car and said, "I'll just wait in the car" (for 3 1/2 hours). She has pestered me all morning about when it will be time to go, so I finally showed her on the clock: when the short hand is between the 12 and the 1, and the long hand is on the 5, it will be time to go. That helped a lot! Since then, she has complained that the clock moves too slow (if only . . . ) and reminded me every 5 minutes that it is almost time to go.

Abby was a little worried that I was being too slow to get dressed, so I asked her if I should just go in my slip and underwear. She gave it some thought, and decided I'd better put clothes on so I could walk her to the door. After I got my skirt on, I asked her, "Do you like my skirt." (It's new.) She said, "Well . . . " I was beginning to think she must not like my new skirt, but then she said, "I think it will look better with a shirt." Oh, of course. What was I thinking!? On went the shirt, and then she liked my new skirt just fine.
We got there early enough to take her picture in front of the school's sign, and then off she went to her class. And I'm trying not to cry.
5 comments:
Glad I found this blog today. Enjoyed the read and the photos.
Here comes an invitation to visit my blog--this week if possible--as my "Spotlight the Youth" contest ends Friday, and lots of votes are needed to make it work. So please spread the word.
Thanks so much
Thank you so much for your sweet thoughts and comments- this sounds lame, but my friends (known personally to me, and only through the blogging world) are what's getting me through this. It's the support of such kind thoughtful people that make such trials bearable!!! So thank you!! Oh, and it's ok to cry about Abby going to school. My sister has an Abbie who's first day was today, and she's been crying all day!! You are totally entitled!!
I cried all day at kindergarten too. My girls didn't notice because they were too busy leaving me in the dust. They won't even let me walk them in tomorrow!
I can't believe Abby's in kindergarten. I bet she's loving it, especially after so many years of watching her brother and sisters go to school.
Abby's so big, I can't believe she's in kindergarten! I still remember when Sarah was Mini-me for Halloween. Probably the best costume ever.
Post a Comment