Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Oh, Go Fly a Kite!



Yesterday afternoon, as I was taking my 20 minute (translation: 90 minute) power nap, the kids came into my room and started rooting around under my bed for the two big kites I bought from Costco last spring. We had never even taken them out of the packages. I started getting all bugged and was trying to shoo them out of my room while asking them what they were doing. They answered, "Dad told us to." So I dragged myself up to help them put the kites together, a big mermaid with wings (huh?) and a dragon.

We got them both put together, but when we went outside, there was not even the tiniest hint of wind. The trees were absolutely still. We licked our fingers and held them up to double-check, but couldn't feel a bit of wind. The package instructions recommend at least 7 mph winds, but Matthew and his friend wanted to try anyway. So they ran and ran and ran . . . and got the kite up. But it only stayed up as long as they were sprinting across the yard. They ran with that big dragon kite for about 30 minutes, while I got tired just watching them and went back inside.

Eventually, Steve came into the kitchen and asked where the kids were. I said, a little peeved, "They're outside trying to fly a kite with no wind at your suggestion." He, of course, busted up laughing, and then I finally got it. They'd been pestering him for a while because they were bored, so he told them to "Go fly a kite."

4 comments:

Emily said...

Susan! How fun that you have a blog, Liz just told me about it yesterday! I think you should definitely come to Muggle Madness this Friday and bring all the kids! It starts at 6 pm and goes until midnight when the book comes out and it's at the Salt Lake Library, that modern looking one. It's going to be fun so you should go!

Liz said...

Huh . . . a mermaid with wings. That's new.

mamasuisse said...

Actually, it turns out they're not wings; it's just big blue 80's hair.

Anonymous said...

hilarious. I got tired just reading about it.