Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Leah's a Climber

Leah's a climber. She takes after Anna who I found on top of the refrigerator when she was 2. Her most recent "Everest" is the gate that blocks the basement stairs, the one that's supposed to keep her safe. This morning, she scaled that sucker so quick and so high that her entire upper half was hanging over into the vast space of the stairwell just tempting fate. Feel free to feel very sorry for me. I'm predicting that I'll be at least 50% gray by the time she's 3.

On the plus side, sometimes she gets stuck and is too scared to move. Then, if she's not in any real danger, I get a little break from chasing her. She gets stuck on the piano bench over and over. It's just tall enough that when she tries to climb down, her toes dangle about an inch from the floor. As far as she knows, she's 6 feet high and is usually too scared to budge.

This is what she looks like when she finally works up the courage to stretch for the floor. The picture's fuzzy because I only had my phone camera at hand, but can you see the stark terror in the whites of her eyes? Getting to laugh at her is my reward.

7 comments:

Liz said...

That picture is so scary - those are some really creepy eyes! I'm glad you get to rest from chasing her when she gets stuck in one place for a while. Kick those feet (w/ shoes on) up & enjoy your freedom for a bit.

queenieweenie said...

I agree..scary picture, but REALLY CUTE baby girl!

Susan said...

Is it a scary picture? I thought it was so funny. She's straining her eyes down so far to try to see how far down the floor is that you can hardly see her irises at all.

angie said...

My how she has grown! That is a great picture you captured. Hope you are all well!

alpinekleins said...

I'm beginning to think it must be in their genes. I bet your and Steve's mom could tell us all kinds of climbing stories :)

Kristin

Katy said...

Hilarious!!!! Gutsy babies you've got (Ava won't even walk down the stairs without holding someone's hand... wanny!!!) that picture is too funny, I love that going for your camera is the first reaction... it's the best!

Rach said...

I can so relate! I'm so sorry, good thing she is so cute :) Please come visit soon, we miss you all. Love you.