Sunday, December 27, 2009

Eggnog Gingerbread Trifle

I love Christmas. I love almost everything about Christmas. I especially love the food.

Last year, I came up with a super yummy chocolate mint trifle recipe. Sometimes, it's all about the chocolate.

But not this year. This year, it was all about the eggnog. This recipe is simple to make and SOOOO GOOOOOOD! And almost too cute to eat . . . almost.



The first layer is gingerbread cake. I used Krusteaz gingerbread cake mix. It's easy and good. Bake it, let it cool, and crumble it into bite-size pieces.



The second layer is eggnog pudding. Use 2 packages of instant vanilla pudding, but instead of using milk in the pudding, mix it up with 3 1/3 cups eggnog and 1/4 tsp. nutmeg. After the pudding has set up, lighten it with about a pint of unsweetened whipped cream. Fold the whipped cream into the pudding and set aside.



The third layer is raspberries. I used frozen raspberries that I thawed and drained in a colander overnight. They worked fine, but were still a little seepier (is that a word?) than I wanted. Fresh would be better. At this point, I also started decorating the sides of the trifle bowl with Pepperidge Farm Ginger Family Cookies.



The fourth and last layer is sweetened whipped cream. I used about a pint for the whole dessert.



Repeat the layers a 2nd time to the top of the trifle bowl, then top the whole thing with finely crumbled gingerbread cake and raspberries.



It turned out so cute that we almost didn't want to eat it . . . until we had the first bite. Then there was no stopping us. It's GOOOOOOOOD!

4 comments:

Dani and Paul said...

That is so cute. I heard your mom talking about it while I was there. It sounds so good. I'll have to try it sometime.

alpinekleins said...

This is really darling! I so should have read about this a couple days ago:)


Happy New Year!

Kristin

Katy said...

holy mother of henry, that looks fabulous.... dang dang DANG... why did i have to wait so long to catch up on blogs.... oh well, i just might have to make an exception for this recipe!!

Steve said...

That looks amazing!